Saturday, February 27, 2016

My Discipline

Engineering covers an incredibly broad subject, so let's get the down low of a small subset called Electrical Engineering.

Silego, Клокер "Electronic circuits" 4/19/10 via wikimedia. Public Domain.

What do students in your program or department learn how to do?

Over the four years of our degree program, Electrical Engineering students learn how to program in various different computer coding languages, design and build computer circuits, and the basics of wireless communication and power generation.

What do people who get degrees in this field usually go on to do for work?

Within ECE, there are an incredible number of possibilities of where to go after graduation. Depending on your specialization, you can work in the power generation industry, software industry, computer hardware industry, or even begin working on research projects. This could be companies like Apple, Google, Intel, to labs such as Sandia National Laboratories, to companies not specifically focusing on electronics such as Boeing.

What drew you to this field?

Growing up, I was always fascinated by computers and how they worked. As I first learned how to use my family's computer at around 5 or 6 years old, I knew that I was going to be hooked. I was amazed at how much a little box could do, and I wanted to see how I could make it even better.

Name three of the leaders/most exciting people involved in this field right now in 2016. Why are they interesting or exciting to you? 

  1. Elon Musk - The CEO of SpaceX and Tesla Motors, Elon is an icon to engineers everywhere. His companies consistently push the boundaries of what's possible today, and it's always excited to watch the most recent space launch or hear of some new tech that Tesla is introducing.
  2. Jeff Bezos - As the founder of Amazon, Jeff Bezos is an icon for what new technology is capable of. I know that without Amazon, I'd be having a rough time without my amazing two day shipping.
  3. Eric Schmidt - One of the founding members of Google, Schmidt shows the world that great things can be achieved by using technology. With Google X, I'm always excited to see what crazy new project they're up to now.
What are the names of three leading academic/scholarly journals in your field? 


No comments:

Post a Comment