Sunday, April 3, 2016

Rhetorical Analysis of Project 3

So now that we're getting started on Project 3, I should probably know what I'm going to be talking about, or at least how I'll be doing that.

How will you relate to your subject for Project 3? 

As an avid fan of civilian drone usage, I have a good amount of background knowledge on the subject, and my ECE major makes me somewhat familiar with the systems used on drones. Also, it is a fairly recent topic that I have some memory of, along with being interesting and controversial to nearly every American citizen since it was another American that was targeted.

What are the preconceptions, previously held opinions and/or potential areas for personal bias that you should be aware of for Project 3? 

I am strongly against the usage of drones to kill Awlaki, but after reading some of the reports on the subject it may have been the best option available to us. Also, I am astounded by the lack of political controversy on the topic since killing an American citizen should have been the cause for debate far greater than a secret memo. However, I will do my best to provide an unbiased representation of the controversy in my argument, especially since I am going to be attempting to explain the cause of the killing.

Audience
How are you thinking about your audience for this project? Who are you going to make this for? 

I am going to try and focus my project on those who have only a cursory understanding of the topic, rather than those who have an in depth understanding, since they already know the reasoning behind his death.

What beliefs and assumptions might this audience already hold? What position are they likely to take on this issue? How will you respond to that position?

They're not likely to hold a strong opinion on Awlaki specifically, but they may have an opinion on the killing of American citizens and the usage of drones.

How might they react to your argument?

I don't think they'll react too strongly since I'm only explaining the cause, but they may still be unhappy with the act itself rather than my explanation.

How are you going to relate to or connect with your audience? Are there any specific words, ideas or ways of arguing that will help you relate to them in this way?

It's going to be tough to relate to them due to the controversy happening across the country, but I may be able to connect with some of the political thoughts.

Think of one specific person or a set of people you know personally or professionally who fall within the definition of ‘target audience’ you’re using for Project 3. What could you tell them or say to them in order to convince them of your perspective? What would need to happen for them to agree with you?

I think that for a general audience member to agree with me they'd just have to listen to the facts since they shouldn't have too strong an opinion on the topic so far.


Purpose/Message
What do you want to accomplish with Project 3? What affect do you want it to have on your intended audience?

After watching the video for my project, I hope that the viewer will consider the fact that not everything the government is doing is above reproach, and that there should be something they're willing to get involved over and ask questions about.

Once you’ve done all your research and figured out what you think about the controversy you’ve chosen, what still needs to be accomplished?

I'm still going to have to acquire video clips to use in my production, along with recording sessions for the voice over and the editing of the footage to create my finished product.

Context
What course genre will you be writing in for Project 3?

I'll be working the genre of video essay to help give the most exposure to the viewer.

What kinds of audience expectations come along with this genre, generally?

Within the video essay genre, viewers will be expecting various video clips that relate to the topic at hand, along with a voiceover which helps explain what the author wants you to know. Also, there will clips of other sources besides myself.

What is your history working in the genre you have selected for Project 3?

I have some limited experience from video production in high school, but in terms of audio editing I have experience from high school and the podcast from project 2.

Describe your comfort level and general feelings about the genre. How will they affect your work on Project 3?

I'm fairly comfortable with the aspects of video editing, but know that I'll have to remind myself of some of the ways of editing the footage. 

What are the two most effective conventions in this genre, in your opinion? Why? Be specific.

The most effective conventions for video essays are outside clips of other views on your topic, and the voice over where you are explaining the points you want to make.

Are there any historical events that might impact how your audience perceives your argument or the kind of background information or evidence you need to include? 

The events of 9/11, Awlaki's life until his death in 2011, the congressional passage of the AUMF, and the legal memo produced which allowed the government to kill Awlaki.

Who else is talking about this topic? Provide us with working hyperlinks to coverage of the controversy on FOUR different media outlets.

New York Times
The Guardian
NPR
CNN

What are the three or four major counter-arguments you’ll have to respond to, based upon what people are saying in the press/media? Be specific and cite your sources using working hyperlinks.

1 comment:

  1. I really like where you're headed, just make sure you don't lose sight of the specific controversy you chose to focus on. You can definitely feel the passion in just the rhetorical analysis so I can't wait to see the finished product! Just make sure to stay on task with the main argument and you should be good! If you want, you can read the rest of my peer review on my blog under the post "Peer Review 10b"

    ReplyDelete